Through A Different Lens

Through A Different lens

 Nothing but red and blue lights flashing accompanied by the screams of the police and groups of people who have witnessed the accident I stood there being comforted by a man, a man I didn’t recognize asking for my name all I said was “Takashi”.

I woke up with the early morning sun hitting my skin, the birds chirping and the many voices outside I grab my phone next to me to check the time, realizing my first day of school has arrived I let out a sigh and got up from my bed to make breakfast before taking a bath. I live alone in a small apartment working for my grandparents ramen shop, my grandma and grandpa are the only family I have. My grandpa taught me how to cook while my grandma taught me how to do the housework. After eating my breakfast I get ready for school and leave my house to walk, once I open the door of my apartment the sun hits my eyes and blurs my vision just a bit while rubbing my eyes I walked from my house to the station to get to school. Everything has always been the same none of the houses have changed, its always the same people I pass by on my way to school and its all been blurry ever since that day.

 

I walk into the crowded train, its never been this crowded all the other times I’ve taken this train I look at my surroundings wondering why its so crowded and all I could see was a sea of kids on their way to school like me, business men and women on their way to work and the general people taking the train to go somewhere. The train trip from where I live to my school is about an hour so I usually wake up earlier than normal to make sure I won’t be late for school. After the train ride I get off at the first stop and walk to school passing by a café that I’ve never seen “probably a new one” I muttered while walking, the route I take from the station to school is different from the route I walk from my home to the station the city is constantly changing new shops, new billboards and a lot more blurry faces. After arriving to the front gates I was greeted by a security guard, as I was about to reply a girl comes out of nowhere and greets the guard with a smile that can go toe to toe with the bright sun, I didn’t mind her interrupting since I don’t plan on talking to people that much anyways. Most of the students here all seem to know each other already while some are making new friends as usual on the first days of schools there are already seniors who are already looking for new club members I never really hated joining clubs I just never had the time to join since I was usually busy helping in my grandparents shop

 

During the assembly I began to look around me seeing all the blurry students and teachers, while looking around a voice from my right says “what ya looking for?” the same voice from the front gates with the security guard that girl whose smile rivaled even the bright sun “uh nothing specific the principals speech is just boring me out” I replied to her with a smile we both began to silently laugh “my names Yuuki Arisa what’s yours?” she introduced herself to me “uhh my name…” I struggled since its been so long since I’ve ever had to introduce myself to someone usually it was just a feint nod or wave what’s worse is that its all blurry but I managed to introduce myself “my names uh Hito Takashi” I never thought it was fine for me to introduce myself to other people but this girl managed to get me to talk and even laugh a little “well Takashi I hope we can become great friends” she said with her hand out, what is this feeling? I feel warm but the assembly hall has air conditioning, am I sick? No way I’m sick now of all the times while I was having a panic attack in my head she grabs my hand and shakes it saying “its rude to leave someone hanging you know that?” ‘warmth’ in that moment I felt a new warmth I have never felt in my life I look at her and the blur that has always been there begins to disappear bit by bit but as I was about to see her face for the first time everyone begins to move out of the assembly hall and the crowd pushes us away from each other and that blur begins to come back.

Now I finally have my schedule but I’m lost I try to ask around but no one seems to reply, after a bit of walking around the school I found myself in front of the library as I was about to open the door to the library a voice I’ve heard comes from the hallway “I finally found you Takashi” it was her she grabbed my arm and began to drag me away from the library “where are you dragging me?!” as I frantically resisted her dragging, she stops and says “you’re late for class so I volunteered o look for you” after hearing that I stopped resisting and said “alright ill go lead the way but first could you uh let go of my arm?” I looked at her blurred face while she apologized “oh I’m sorry for suddenly grabbing your arm and dragging you” “its fine” I replied as we walked to class together I looked at the windows which revealed the school grounds a large beautiful looking tree in the middle and a patch of grass around it with some students who were probably skipping class were lying down under it to the north of the tree there was the football field and right next to it was the assembly hall were the basketball court is located after walking we arrive to our class as I was about to open the door the bell rings and the doors open and the hallways begin to crowd up since that was the break bell surprisingly we both survived the huge crowds in the hallways.

 Our lunch break has began and I walked to the huge tree in the middle and took a seat under it with the lunch I cooked myself in hand I decide to dig in, as I was about to eat a moon-like gray blocks out the sunlight and a blur appears before me “that looks great! Did you make it yourself?” the blur said to me after hearing that my thoughts begin to flow, this voice was the girl from the gate and the assembly the first friend I’ve made at that moment the blur began to clear revealing a beauty this was the first time seeing her face it was breath taking the way her sun-like smile complimented her silky moon-gray hair accompanied by her bubbling personality she seemed like she wasn’t real yet she was right in front of me eating her lunch, come to think of it this was the first time I’ve seen someone other than my grandparents clearly as I was once again in my head full of thoughts as she grabbed something from my lunch “Don’t mind me I just want to try your cooking” she said with a smile “hey that’s rude give me something from yours too!” I replied and she looked like she was offering me to take something from hers while she was eating what she took from me without any hesitation I took whatever I could and the differences from our cooking almost made me die on the spot.

After our lunch break on our way to class as we were talking I learned that she and I were polar opposites yet the feelings I felt for her wanted to be with her no matter what, who cares if the rest of the world was a blur? Who cares if I can’t see the sun or the moon? As long as see her its like I can experience the world through a different lens.     

 

 Written by: Jadon Kal-el A. Paculan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Online Video Game Poem

Wake up call : Keep Mother Earth Genuine not Plastic by Mary Krianne Athene Bitancor-Hernando